Eduardo Bolsonaro Backs Down from Becoming Ambassador to USA
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – Deputy Eduardo Bolsonaro has given up assuming the position as ambassador to Washington. The announcement was made in a speech in the Chamber of Deputies on Tuesday night, October 22nd, during the approval of the agreement between Brazil and the United States for the commercial use of the Alcântara base in Maranhão State.

The son of President Jair Bolsonaro and current-leader of the PSL party said that he is “staying” in Brazil to defend the conservative agenda and his father’s government.
“I who speaks to you, son of a Brazilian Army military officer and federal deputy, who was mocked for having, at the age of 20, a decent and honest job in a fast-food restaurant in the United States, says he is staying in Brazil to defend the conservative principles, to turn the tsunami of the 2018 election into a permanent wave. Thus, I commit myself to walk through São Paulo, through Brazil, and among the people,” he said.
Eduardo’s decision was already expected by Bolsonaro’s aides, who said that, despite the many contacts he had made with the senators, the deputy was unable to garner enough support to be approved for the post, which could have led to an iconic defeat for the president.
In addition, the president’s move last week to put his son at the head of his political party PSL, helped prevent the deputy from taking over the Brazilian Embassy in Washington. “The leadership is still unstable, but, so far, I’m only staying until the end of the year,” he said.
According to Eduardo, his electoral supporters were unhappy with his exit from the Chamber, and this weighed on his decision. “We listen to advice and I confess that there is still my electorate. I confess that the majority was not supporting [the nomination as ambassador],” he said.
Source: Estadão Conteúdo
This article was produced by The Rio Times’ automated newsroom system. How we use AI · Report an error
Read More from The Rio Times