Rio de Janeiro looks for leftover flu vaccines in other states to contain outbreak
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – The flu epidemic that has spread in Rio de Janeiro city and state has forced the State Health Secretariat (SES) to search for vaccine leftovers in other locations in Brazil.
As there is a weekly shortage of the vaccine while the outbreak of Influenza A, subtype H3N2, is increasing, the SES has approached other secretaries to procure doses.

São Paulo governor João Doria has again offered vaccines to Rio de Janeiro should they be requested. Governor Cláudio Castro said that talks with the neighboring state and other governors are being expedited.
“There are some states with leftovers and we are looking to bring them here. We are talking to Doria and all the other states. Our Secretariat is talking to each one of them to get this help,” said governor Claudio Castro on Wednesday, December 15.
According to the SES, the number of flu cases has increased in recent weeks in municipalities of the Metropolitan Region. However, so far, there is no information on the spread of the disease in the interior of the state.
The State Health Secretariat has not reported whether it has agreed on the donation of more doses of the flu vaccine, as occurred last week, when São Paulo sent a shipment of 400,000 immunizers through the Butantan Institute.
The Rio Municipal Health Secretariat stated that the flu vaccination is proceeding normally. So far, over 2.6 million people have been immunized.
BED CAPACITY INCREASE
Castro reported that in order to support the treatment of the Influenza epidemic, the plan also entails the increase in the number of beds in wards. The SES has expanded the care network within Rio de Janeiro city’s ERs.
“I am a fan of vaccines and I have always supported them. We will open more beds in wards to treat people, support the municipalities, fight for vaccines, and vaccinate people,” the governor said.
On Wednesday, the Bangu unit received an adapted truck that works with two consulting rooms, as well as Campo Grande II. The unit now has 8 doctors on duty and will operate from Monday through Sunday, between 7AM and 7PM.
In addition to the adapted vehicles with consulting rooms, 5 tents were set up in the Marechal Hermes, Penha and Tijuca’s ERs, in the North Zone, Jacarepaguá, in the West Zone, and Botafogo, in Rio’s South Zone. Most cases attended in ERs are patients with mild symptoms.
This article was produced by The Rio Times’ automated newsroom system. How we use AI · Report an error
Read More from The Rio Times