Cuba Accepts $100 Million US Aid Offer as Russian Oil Runs Out
Key Facts
—The acceptance: Cuban president Miguel Díaz-Canel said Thursday May 14 that his government will accept the US offer of $100 million in humanitarian aid, after foreign minister Bruno Rodríguez had dismissed the offer 48 hours earlier as a “fable.”
—The energy collapse: The March 31 Russian tanker shipment of 730,000 barrels (Anatoly Kolodkin) ran out by mid-May. Energy Minister Vicente de la O Levy acknowledged on Wednesday Cuba has “not a drop of fuel, only associated gas.”
—The Trump position: The president told Fox News on Friday May 16, returning from China, that “I think we’re going to change course. I think they’ll have to come to us. It’s a failed nation.”
—The mechanism: The State Department will distribute aid through the Catholic Church and independent humanitarian organisations, bypassing the Cuban government. Secretary Marco Rubio raised the proposal at a Vatican meeting with Pope Leo XIV.
—The deadline pressure: US Treasury General License 134B expired May 16, ending the technical window for Russian oil already loaded before that date. Cuba’s electricity-generation deficit hit a record 2,204 MW on May 14.
Two days ago, Cuba’s foreign minister called the US aid offer a “$100 million lie.” This morning, Cuba’s president accepted it. The reversal is not rhetorical. It is the moment a 65-year-old political project ran out of fuel and reached for the hand of the country it has called its enemy since 1961.
What did Díaz-Canel actually accept?
Cuban president Miguel Díaz-Canel said via X on Thursday: “If the US government is truly willing to provide aid in the amounts it has announced and in full accordance with universally recognised humanitarian practices, it will not encounter obstacles or ingratitude from Cuba, however inconsistent and paradoxical such an offer may seem to a people whom that very same US government systematically and ruthlessly subjects to collective punishment.” The Rio Times, the Latin American financial news outlet, reports that the phrasing operates as conditional acceptance: Havana keeps the rhetorical posture of grievance while opening the practical channel for delivery.
Díaz-Canel listed the priorities as “fuel, food, and medicines.” He noted that the Catholic Church relationship is “rich and productive” and signalled willingness to work with that distribution channel. The acceptance came 48 hours after foreign minister Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla had described the offer as a “fable” and a “$100 million lie,” while deputy minister Carlos Fernández de Cossío called it a “dirty political manoeuvre.” The reversal was triggered by the State Department’s public restating of the offer on Wednesday, which forced the Cuban government to choose between visible refusal and tactical acceptance.
How did the energy crisis reach this point?
Cuba imports roughly 60% of its energy needs. Domestic production is around 40,000 barrels per day; demand is 90,000 to 110,000. Venezuela had been the principal supplier, but shipments stopped in December 2025 when Caracas itself fell under naval blockade. On January 29, 2026, Trump signed Executive Order 14380 imposing secondary sanctions on any nation or company exporting fuel to Cuba. Between December 2025 and March 31, 2026, no fuel shipments reached the island.
The single relief came on March 31 with the arrival of the Russian-flagged Anatoly Kolodkin in Matanzas with 730,000 barrels of crude. Díaz-Canel had earlier described that shipment as “symbolic,” covering about one-third of monthly need and roughly ten days of consumption. By mid-May, that cargo was exhausted. A second Russian tanker, the Universal, carrying about 200,000 barrels of diesel, left Vysotsk in January but has been stuck for weeks in the Atlantic, sailing erratically toward Trinidad and Tobago after the US Treasury’s General License 134A excluded Cuba. The deadline of General License 134B expired May 16, ending the technical window for any further Russian oil loaded before that date.
What role did Ratcliffe’s Havana visit play?
CIA Director John Ratcliffe led a US delegation to Havana on Thursday May 14, the first CIA chief visit to Cuba since the 1959 revolution. He met with officials from the Cuban Interior Ministry and intelligence services. Ratcliffe delivered, according to a CIA official quoted by Reuters, “Trump’s message that the United States is prepared to seriously engage on economic and security issues, but only if Cuba makes fundamental changes.” The Cuban government statement after the meeting argued that the exchange “categorically demonstrated that Cuba does not constitute a threat to US national security.”
The Ratcliffe visit reframed the bilateral channel. It happened the same week the State Department publicly restated the $100 million offer, the same week the Justice Department prepared an indictment against former president Raúl Castro, and the same week Cuba’s oil ran out. The combination is structural pressure layered with a soft exit. Trump told Fox News on Friday: “I think we’re going to change course. I think they’ll have to come to us. It’s a failed nation.” The framing is explicitly designed to mirror the Venezuelan transition under acting president Delcy Rodríguez.
Cuba’s collapse in numbers
| Indicator | Reading |
|---|---|
| US humanitarian aid offer | $100 million |
| Cuban daily fuel requirement | 90,000-110,000 barrels |
| Cuban domestic production | ~40,000 barrels/day |
| Electricity-generation deficit (May 14) | 2,204 MW (record) |
| Daily blackouts in Havana | 20-22 hours |
| 2026 GDP contraction (CEPAL forecast) | -6.5% (worst in Latin America) |
| Cuban population | ~10 million |
| Months without significant fuel imports | 4 (Dec 2025 to mid-May 2026) |
Power outages affect up to 70% of the country. The Antonio Guiteras thermoelectric plant, Cuba’s largest generator, experienced its ninth breakdown of 2026 this week. Public transportation has nearly collapsed; hospitals struggle to maintain refrigeration and basic operations.
What does Trump actually want?
The Trump administration has publicly demanded political and economic reforms, the release of political prisoners, severance of ties with Russia, China, Iran, and pro-Palestinian armed groups, and settlement of US claims on properties confiscated by the Cuban government since 1959. Media reports have suggested private US pressure for Díaz-Canel to step down, although the Cuban Communist Party would retain effective control under any successor formula. Senior Cuban officials have signalled privately, according to Miami Herald sources, that the country is ready for major economic opening but not for regime change.
Trump’s public posture is harder: “Cuba is finished. They have a bad regime and very bad and corrupt leadership.” His preferred model is the Venezuelan transition that delivered Maduro to a New York federal court and put Delcy Rodríguez in the acting presidency. The combination of the May 16 deportation of Alex Saab from Caracas to Miami and Cuba’s accepting the aid offer presents the Trump administration with a binary success story: two Caribbean adversaries pressing against the same wall and bending the same direction in the same week.
What should investors and analysts watch next?
- Aid distribution mechanics. The Catholic Church and independent humanitarian organisations will be the operational channel. Caritas Cubana and the Cuban Conference of Bishops are the most likely on-island partners.
- Universal tanker destination. The 200,000-barrel Russian diesel cargo stranded in the Atlantic is now technically blocked by the expired General License 134B. Whether it reaches Cuba, Trinidad, or returns to Russia matters operationally.
- Raúl Castro indictment timing. A US grand jury approval would compound the political pressure during the aid negotiations. The DOJ track is moving in parallel.
- Díaz-Canel succession question. Trump administration private pressure for Díaz-Canel’s removal will be the most contested element of any negotiation. The Cuban Communist Party Politburo retains formal authority over leadership transitions.
- Tourism reopening. Any reopening framework for European and Latin American tourism would be the fastest source of foreign currency. Cuba’s hotel and resort sector remains operational but underused.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the $100 million unconditional?
No. The State Department has tied the aid to “meaningful reforms” and structured it to flow through the Catholic Church and independent organisations rather than Cuban state institutions. The aid is the visible part of a broader negotiating package that includes political prisoners, severance of ties with US adversaries, and settlement of expropriation claims.
Has Trump lifted the oil blockade?
No. Executive Order 14380 of January 29 remains in force, imposing secondary sanctions on any country or company supplying fuel to Cuba. A second executive order signed May 1 expanded sectoral sanctions on energy, defence, mining, and financial services with immediate effect. The structural blockade is intensifying even as the aid channel opens.
Will Russia keep sending oil?
Russian Energy Minister Sergei Tsivilev publicly committed to continued shipments in March. The Universal tanker, however, has stalled in the Atlantic, and the General License 134B deadline expired May 16. Future shipments would face full US sanctions exposure for any vessel, port, or insurer involved.
Connected Coverage
This story sits inside our Cuba pressure cluster. The CIA director’s Havana visit is detailed in our Ratcliffe visit readout. The Raúl Castro DOJ indictment track is framed in our Castro indictment analysis. The wider structural pressure playbook sits in our Cuba playbook readout. The Alex Saab deportation as the parallel Caribbean signal is in our Saab deportation readout.
Reported by The Rio Times — Latin American financial news. Filed May 17, 2026.
Read More from The Rio Times
Latin American financial intelligence, daily
Breaking news, market reports, and intelligence briefs — for investors, analysts, and expats.